Installing, styling and maintaining lace wigs is all about having the right tolls combined with lots of practice. If you feel you are spending too much time on your installations, it is probably because you don’t have the ideal product to perform a specific task. Especially when it comes to frontal lace wigs, the tools that you use can have a direct impact on the amount of time that you spend styling your hair and a bigger one on the final result of your installation.
This is why we built the perfect wig kit. You will find in the list below all the most important tools and products that are available to simplify your life and make you install your own wigs like a professional hairstylist.
Wig Kit Must-Haves:
- Scissors to cut baby hair: sometimes the wig comes with some baby hair already cut for you but even when that is the case, you might want to add new ones.
- Wig glue or wig adhesive tape: you are welcome to use your preferred one. If you have done any lace wig installation in the past, you probably have a glue at your house. If you are a beginner thinking about what to get as your first glue, why don’t you try “Got2be” glue? There are so many tutorials on YouTube about how to install a lace wig using this type of glue.
- Tweezers: if you like ultra-realistic hairlines, you will need tweezers to pluck the hairline or part line and achieve your desired look.
- Fine toothed comb with long handle:this is the type of tool that will make your life so much easier that once you have one you won’t be able to live without it. Apart from just combing the hair, there are many other applications for this tool. It is perfect for: 1. opening the part line where you want it to be using the handle, 2. sticking the lace to your hairline also using the handle and 3. preventing you from burning your fingers/hands when you are flat ironing your hair.
- Lace wig cap: this is essential to protect and also keep your natural hair in place so the wig doesn’t show any “bumps” after installation.
- Hair Brush: the best ones are the detanglers, because they will help to minimize breakage and shedding. You may also consider buying a round brush to help you with styling your curls.
- Silk scarf: after applying the glue and placing the lace on your hairline, you must hold it down with the help of a hair band or silk scarf. It is important to apply some pressure around your hairline so the lace is flat and camouflaged.
- Foundation and concealer: these are important products so you camouflage the lace on the front part of the wig and accentuate the part line.
- Hot comb: if you are planning on installing lace wig quite often, it is important to invest on a good hot comb. This tool will help you to flatten the hair on the top of the wig and open up the part line with perfection.
- Brush for edges: you can even consider using an old toothbrush to help you create the most amazing edges with your baby hair.
- Flat iron or blow dryer: it is important to remember to pace yourself when using these tools. Applying too much heat to your wig can damage it and reduce its lifespan. Try to keep the temperature as low as possible.
- Gel / styling wax: this is important to style your edges and keep your flying hair in place. Some people prefer to use a mousse for styling baby hair and a wax stick proper for flying hair. It is really up to you.
- Mousse: there are many applications for mousse. Here at LolaSilk, we love to use mousse to activate the curls, create charming wet looks and style the edges
- Shampoo / conditioner: try to get sulphate-free shampoo/conditioner from the same brand.
- Hair masks: it is important to keep your hair moisturized and hair masks are very good at doing exactly that.
- Leave-in: applying a little bit of leave-in conditioner or oil after washing your wig, can also help with keeping it moisturized and easier to brush. Just don’t overdo it, otherwise your hair will start to look greasy and heavy.
- Wig stand: You should choose one that can be used not only for storage, but to air dry your wig and to style your hair before installation.
You probably already have most of the items on this list, but maybe you are missing a few crucial products that will help you to achieve your most stylish looks. If you just starting to install frontal lace wigs, it is important to choose good quality tools, even if they are not the cheapest options. If you are in a budget, try to wait for the right sale or specials to purchase everything that you need. The last thing you need is to get stuck with a tool that does not perform well.