A guide to heat styling wigs at home
An excellent place to begin your search for the ideal wig hairstyling tools is by learning the distinctions between human hair wigs and synthetic hair wigs.
Because they're made from human hair, natural hair wigs resemble your own hair in every way. Wigs constructed from synthetic fibres mimic the look and feel of real hair by employing cutting-edge manufacturing techniques.
For the most part, you will employ a variety of style techniques and tools for styling human and synthetic hair. The best way to heat style wigs at home comes down to personal preference and what makes you look and feel the most confident and comfortable.
To assemble your basic styling kit, start with the following products:
- Foam wig heads that will allow you to style your wig from any angle you choose;
- Wide tooth combs to detangle the hair strands;
- When cleaning synthetic wigs, use a stainless steel brush made specifically for wig fibres. Detangling wigs with wig brushes and wig combs is made easier by using softer rounded bristles, which prevent the fibres from being tugged when detangling your wig.
- A spray bottle filled with clean cool water is an excellent tool for refreshing your appearance. Spritz your wig with water and use your fingers to smooth out any frizz or add a little volume where you need it to make it look more natural.
- To ensure that the fibres in your wig are not damaged and that it continues to look its best, only use products made specifically for synthetic wigs. Wig styling materials and accessories are essential since they are specifically created for wig upkeep and the delicate requirements of the wig style itself.
Styling a heat resistant synthetic wig
Synthetic wigs that are heat friendly or heat resistant can be safely styled with heat styling tools like driers and straightening irons. Style retention is similar to that of classic heat-friendly synthetic wigs; when they are wet and air-dried, they will return to their most recent heat-styled look.
If you use a curling iron or straightener, set the temperature at 135 Celsius. Separate the hair into small sections that will be curled or straightened at a time. To set the a curl, allow the curling iron to cool completely before releasing the hair. With a straightener, make sure you do not hold the heat on the hair for too long. Spritz the hair with a wig friendly spray to set the style. Your new look should last two to three washes before reverting to its original appearance.
Remember to wash your wigs, but not too often. Be gentle when you wash your wig, Soak it in soapy water and then softly comb through the hair. Avoid rubbing or massaging the product into the wig as this will cause residue buildup. Rinse the shampoo gently with warm water. Detangle the fibres with a wide tooth comb or steel brush. Leave the wig on a stand to dry on its own.
Human hair wigs
When it comes to styling, human hair wigs are unbeatable. You can style, perm and colour your hair exactly like you would your own hair with many wigs made from human hair. Human hair wigs can last up to a year or more if properly cared for.
If you style your human hair wig while it is still damp, you run the risk of ruining it and damaging the wig's structure. After you've cleaned and dried your wig, use a wig detangling comb to straighten it while it's on a wig stand. To avoid damage, use a low- to medium-heat hairdryer and heat style spray to speed up the drying process.
It is not recommended to comb the mesh at the wig's base because this could cause harm to the wig's structure. Brush lightly through the wig from the root to the ends of the hair with a wig brush or a comb to achieve the desired effect. Take care of tangles first, starting at the bottom to avoid damage of the hair.
In order to keep your wig fibres in excellent condition, you must use hair care products that are specifically formulated for human hair wigs. This is because human hair wigs do not have the same natural oils and vitamins as actual human hair. Make use of a setting spray to ensure that your wig style remains in place throughout the day.
Be sure to view our winter wig colours guide too.